Are all baked goods bad for you? No way! To prove it to you, I’ll share one of my new favorite recipes that works for muffins or bread. These zucchini muffins are chewy, full of fiber, and delicious. Try them for yourself . . . then you’ll understand. 🙂
What makes these treats so good? Every bite is full of juicy cranberries and plump walnuts, surrounded by moist, dense muffin tasting of cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Oats and zucchini give nutritional heft to these beauties, boosting the fiber content to help fill you up. And yes, they are sweet. But I made a little tweak to the original recipe, substituting coconut palm sugar for the regular sugar. The substitution was easy (1:1), and the muffins turned out excellent!
Bonus: If you freeze your leftover muffins or bread, you’ll have the perfect last-minute nibble next time someone drops by unexpectedly.
Oatmeal Zucchini Nut Muffins
- 3 eggs
- 1½ c. coconut sugar
- 1 c. oil (I used canola)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1 c. quick oats
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 2 c. raw, unpeeled zucchini, grated
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
- 1 c. dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. With a mixer, beat eggs and sugar together.
3. Add oil and vanilla to the egg/sugar mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, combine oats, salt, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
5. Add these dry ingredients to the egg/sugar mixture.
6. Remove the bowl from the mixer, and fold in zucchini, walnuts, and cranberries.
7. Add batter to the desired pan, and cook as follows:
- Large loaves (4” x 8”, quantity: 2)—1 hr.
- Small loaves (quantity: 5)—35-40 mins.
- Muffins (quantity: 24)—25-30 mins.
8. Cook until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Thanks for the Inspiration
My sweet friend Wanda shared this delicious recipe with me. Actually, she first shared a muffin, and then she gave me her recipe. She is a wonderful cook who delights everyone with her creations, and while she’s certainly talented in the kitchen, I know her secret ingredient . . . love!
May you all be blessed with someone like my friend Wanda. If you have no such person in your life, whip up these muffins and go be that blessing yourself. 🙂
Have a wonderful week!